Friday, December 26, 2014

Sevillanas

Never mind the heat spell, querida,
she said when I arrived on the 10 o’clock bus.
There were still tangles in my hair and sweat

stream deltas at the nape of my neck when I
noticed the chemical reaction happening on
my skin, the way her river soil dampness was

blending with the travel odor on my wrists
and on my clavicle. How a city will smell
on you is not something you can predict.

I felt dizzy. She grasped both my hands
and we started walking, following the
train tracks. As she glanced around in her

distracted way, I noticed her cleavage
glistening under the street lamps. The
cathedral glowed. People here are

boisterous and suffused with self-
important warmth, intoxicating for a
girl coming from somewhere haunted,

a place that had seen her off with a
deafening hailstorm and a downpour that
had seeped into her corners. The beers and

the tinto de verano and that piña colada-like
concoction on a mostly empty stomach helped,
of course, and the sevillanas that spilled out of

wine glasses and doorways, brightly lit bars in
Barrio Santa Cruz. You don’t get this back home,
she said once, flashing me a triumphant smile.

Her laughter dove, resurfaced with the posture
of a suspension bridge, and she wore a silver
bracelet that clung to the delicate shape of her

wrist. Toward me she behaved as an indulgent
aunt would, she humored me when I wanted to
snack on roasted almonds, nap by Guadalquivir

all day, and the time I ate pork cheek and then
felt sure I had been drugged, although she did
reproach me the day I double-fisted ice cream

cones in a plaza somewhere in Alfalfa where
seven-year-olds on rollerskates were testing
out what it is to be unkind. Despite her good

breeding, she couldn’t help but judge other
women’s figures. Just imagine yourself in the
bata de cola, she’d say, as if that were the

cure for a lack of self-restraint. I found that I
could not slip away from that city of extroverts,
unnoticed. At night the big river is like a well,

and I knew that’s where all of her sadness lives,
meanwhile. Holding its breath for someone like
me. Everything about her was contagious. Yes,

even her sevillanas, which I dutifully tried to
resist, and those dark ripples in the water, which
followed me home. I’m always wondering where

the things I’ve known and lost go, but those nights
and afterward I just wondered where the things
I’ve never known and lost go, in a city like that,

where everyone called me querida, what can I
bring you, even her name rhymes with marvel, a
city unfit for girls with ghosts inhabiting their bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment