Friday, December 26, 2014

Silver Bowls

She whitewashed the air on Wednesday
as only she could. From here it felt
crisp and indigo, like the silver bowls
she used to have me polish on warm
afternoons. Outside it was that paradox
of bright and cold, we were one day away
from a full moon and some part of me
did not believe she was gone or maybe
did not believe that she could ever be gone.
That would just not be her style. Her style

was to love things fiercely, with the kind
of conviction that doesn’t just evaporate
on Tuesday nights in November. She
held on to things and people like they
might disappear at any moment, knowing
that they might. The moon was waxing
when she let go, there is never quite
enough. I could hear loss shivering

in her voice, often masking as cynicism,
but in the spaces between her words, there
was always warmth. I could feel it even
when I couldn’t hear it, and it made me
want to hold her with the intensity of
her own will to live, especially these last

few years, as though I could repay with my
touch all those afternoons she gave me a
million little jobs to keep my hands busy
and my mind in a daydream:

raking the lawn, setting the table,
weeding among the calla lilies and
camellias, washing the car, arranging
Pillsbury crescent rolls on a baking sheet
before dinner. With her,

there was always purpose,
and inside, a snack, the nightly news,
her fierce love, unspoken, except for when
she said to tell oblivious boys and professors
who assigned me too many papers to be nice.
Otherwise, I’ll have to go beat ’em up,
she would say with a sly smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment