Wednesday, March 25, 2015

After a Weekend of Braiding My Hair Like Frida Kahlo

te vas a españolizar
he joked, but the p smacked

slightly

like the spitting of men
when they are afraid.

as a going-away gift,
one friend gave me a mix CD
(which he named deTOOunPOCO)

and said with a smile,
pa’ que no se te olvide Latinoamérica.

that old threat of treason again.
that old half-joke again.

there are people who love me so much

they still regard me suspiciously,
as though it were possible
to cheat on a place.

as though there were a limit
to the number of cities
I can claim as my own.

as though I did not spend this weekend
scouring convenience stores for ribbons and flowers
with a manic love.

since crossing to the colonizing country
I’ve heard, but you’re actually American
and you act American and what place

do you really identify with and eres
mexicana, no seas tan americana,
but mostly

I’m passing again, indifference.
who knew I could pull off
ambiguous and mestiza

in the plaza where the Inquisition had its headquarters?
tourists from northern Spain
ask me for directions. on the street,

no one says puta. no one is surprised
when I open my mouth. I want
someone to react when I say México.

No one does. The empire
was vast. the name of that place
is not evocative here the way

the name of this place
is electrical there. no one ever
understands how much is being

destroyed in their name,
with their language. is it really any surprise
that I crossed an ocean

to dance something impure
in the country that thought it could invent purity?

No comments:

Post a Comment